The Great Marylebone Boundaries Debate…
Last week, our popular ‘Did you know?’ feature wrongly defined the boundaries of the Marylebone area… but thanks to feedback from some of our observant readers, we can now put the record straight…
The Revd Dr Stephen Evans of St Marylebone Church, from where the Parish of Marylebone derived its name, is somewhat of an authority on the history of Marylebone and its boundaries and has taken time to map-out the boundaries below. St Marylebone Church is still very much at the heart of Marylebone and, of course, is currently hosting the St Marylebone Festival, which is funded by, and in support of, the Changing Lives Project.
The Boundaries of the Parish of St Marylebone / the old Borough of St Marylebone / the Deanery of St Marylebone
Western Boundary: starts at Marble Arch (the junction of Oxford Street [A40] and Edgware Road) and then runs north to the junction of Edgware Road/Abbey Road [A5] with Belsize Road [A509].
Southern Boundary: is Oxford Street (the junction of Oxford Street [A40] and Edgware Road [A5]) in the west to the junction of Oxford Street (A40) and Hanway Street in the east.
Northern Boundary: is the junction of Edgware Road/Abbey Road [A5] with Belsize Road [A509] to Eastern Boundary: the junction with Avenue Road [B525] to the junction with Acacia Road east incorporating the old covered Reservoir to Ormonde Terrace with St Edmund’s Terrace across the southern end of the park to Albert Terrace/Regent’s Park Road then south across Prince Albert Road from Albert Terrace/Regent’s Park Road south across Prince Albert Road to the East of the Broad Walk in the Regent’s Park to St Andrew’s Place, the southern end of Albany Street incorporating the site of the old Holy Trinity Parish Church, along the Marylebone Road to Cleveland Street then south down Cleveland Street to Mortimore Street, Mortimore Street to Charlotte Place to Rathbone Street to Rathbone Place to Evelyn Yard to Hanway Street to Oxford Street [A40].
Parish boundaries traced from “A map of the Ecclesiastical Divisions within the County of London, 1903” published by Edward Stanford of London, reprinted as a facsimile by the London Topographical Society. List from that map is of parishes within the rural deanery of St Marylebone in 1903; they were all sub-divisions of the historic parish of St Marylebone. They are in the Archdeaconry of London, and Diocese of London.
And for all those Marylebone history lovers, see this historic map of all the parishes that were cut out of the original parish of St Marylebone.
1 St Mark, Upper Hamilton Terrace
2 All Saints’, Finchley Road, St. John’s Wood*
3 St Stephen the Martyr, Portland Town*
4 St Marylebone, Marylebone Road
5 Emmanuel Church, Maida Hill*
6 Christ Church (detached part)*
7 St Paul, Grove Street, Lisson Grove
8 Holy Trinity, Marylebone Road*
9 St Matthew, Carlisle Street, Maida Hill*
10 St Barnabas, Bell St*
11 Christ Church, Stafford Street, Marylebone Road*
12 St Cyprian, Park Street, Dorset Square
13 St Mark, Marylebone Road*
14 St Mary, Bryanston Square
15 St Paul, Portman Square*
16 St Luke, Nutford Place*
17 The Annunciation, Bryanston Street
18 St Thomas, Orchard Street, Portman Square*
19 All Souls, Langham Place
20 All Saints, Margaret Street
21 St Andrew, Wells Street*
St John’s Wood Parish Church (parish church only since 1950s)
Missed Our Weekly Newsletter?
Also in News
St Marylebone Festival takes place from Sunday 17 to Friday 22 July this year, organised by our friends at St Marylebone...